PLAYLIST

Saturday, May 5, 2012

BEAUTY IN A CUP OF TEA




Let the truth be told.  I am a Coffee fiend.  However, I do love a good Tea.  My approach to Coffee and Tea is distinctly different.  Coffee for me represents a “bold” contentment.  My elixir for either initiating my relentless drive for progress or culminating it.  Whereas Tea has always been an either an elegant repast or/and especially as of late, a medicinal or therapeutic essential to my diet.

Interestingly, Tea delivers more sensually than Coffee.  Coffee asserts whereas Tea lulls.  LOL  Except in the case of Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee.  (A topic for another blog insert.)


My precious Nana, Mama Julia Dean introduced me to my first cup of Tea.  She was a saintly Christian woman who lived by Levitical rules, among them, no stimulants.  So, she only drank herbal teas.  Her favorite tea was Sage Tea.  I remember being about 4 years old and drinking Sage Tea nightly whenever she was caring for me.   I loved it!!!

SAGE TEA
Research has suggested that the presence of volatile oil in Sage is largely responsible for most of its therapeutic properties, especially its anti-septic, astringent and relaxing actions. Sage is also used internally in the treatment of night sweats, excessive salivation (as in Parkinson's disease), profuse perspiration (as in TB), anxiety and depression. Externally, it is used to treat insect bites, skin, throat, mouth and gum infections and vaginal discharge.
It is thought that Sage is similar to Rosemary in its ability to improve brain function and memory. In a study involving 20 healthy volunteers Sage oil caused indicated improvements in word recall and speed of attention. Meanwhile the activity of Sage and its constituents have been investigated in the search for new drugs for the treatment of Alzheimer's disease with promising results.

Matcha Green Tea


I just discovered Matcha Green Tea.   While grocery shopping at NYC’s Fairway Market which has an awesome selection of teas and coffees, I saw this weird green powder which cost $60.00 per lb.  What?  After doing my research, I found out why it is so expensive.  The health benefits of matcha exceed those of other green teas because matcha drinkers ingest the whole leaf, not just the brewed water.  One glass of matcha is the equivalent of 10 glasses of green tea in terms of nutritional value and antioxidant content.

Matcha is only grown in Japan. Japanese tea, in general, tends to be more expensive than teas produced in other countries. It’s the rule of supply and demand. Japan is a small country that only exports about 1 percent of its teas, due to high domestic demand. 

Matcha made in the traditional Japanese style, whisked with water, is a full-bodied green tea.  The intensity of the experience compares to one’s first taste of dark chocolate or red wine.  When added as an ingredient, the taste of matcha becomes subtler.  It adds the flavor and color of green tea to your creation, be it a smoothie, latte, savory sauce or pastry.  I LOVE MY MATCHA GREEN TEA LATTE BREAKS.

In fact, let me take a Matcha Green Tea Latte break..........to be continued. :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment